MUMBAI: “When old and dilapidated buildings in Mumbai, whose structural audit had been done, collapsed, was the municipal corporation held responsible?” asked Maharashtra culture minister Sudhir Mungantiwar while refusing to take responsibility for the deaths of 14 people due to heatstroke at Kharghar last Sunday.
It was the state cultural department that oversaw the preparations for the event where Union home minister Amit Shah presented the Maharashtra Bhushan Wward to noted social worker Appasaheb Dharmadhikari.
A PIL has been filed in the Bombay high court to file a case of culpable homicide against Mungantiwar, Dharmadhikari and others.
In an interview to a regional TV channel Mungantiwar said, “Along with officials, those close to Appasaheb Dharmadhikari were also involved in the arrangements. The chief minister visited the site four times to see the preparations. His son and wife sat in the open. No one anticipated that the temperature will go up suddenly. It’s a natural calamity. If all possible accidents are known then no accident will happen across the country.”
Mungantiwar said a 60 page booklet on the preparation for the events was issued. Around 3,000 water connections were provided along with ambulances and hospitals were kept in readiness.
“It was not possible to provide Mandap for 20-25 lakh people. We were told they come with their own things (food and water). It is being said the water with them was over but they did not get up to go and drink water. Perhaps if they had got up and gone to drink water it would not have happened. It is their magnetic attraction to Appasaheb that no one moved as the speeches continued. They preferred to bear the heat and it went beyond tolerance level,” he said.
Mungantiwar said it was an unfortunate incident and it should not be politicised. “When Rahul Gandhi was convicted no one asked for his resignation,” he said.
The culture minister slammed the opposition for circulating false figures of people who had died on account of the heatwave.
“The party which could give Rs 10 lakh to the widow of someone who died in a terrorist attack has their funds dried up? Why have they not helped these people?” he asked. Instead of circulating false numbers of deceased, the party could easily send their party workers to the hospital to ascertain the correct figures, he said, adding that when discussions take place on the PIL in court all things will become clear. He added he would also explain in detail in the legislature when the issue comes up for discussion.
It was the state cultural department that oversaw the preparations for the event where Union home minister Amit Shah presented the Maharashtra Bhushan Wward to noted social worker Appasaheb Dharmadhikari.
A PIL has been filed in the Bombay high court to file a case of culpable homicide against Mungantiwar, Dharmadhikari and others.
In an interview to a regional TV channel Mungantiwar said, “Along with officials, those close to Appasaheb Dharmadhikari were also involved in the arrangements. The chief minister visited the site four times to see the preparations. His son and wife sat in the open. No one anticipated that the temperature will go up suddenly. It’s a natural calamity. If all possible accidents are known then no accident will happen across the country.”
Mungantiwar said a 60 page booklet on the preparation for the events was issued. Around 3,000 water connections were provided along with ambulances and hospitals were kept in readiness.
“It was not possible to provide Mandap for 20-25 lakh people. We were told they come with their own things (food and water). It is being said the water with them was over but they did not get up to go and drink water. Perhaps if they had got up and gone to drink water it would not have happened. It is their magnetic attraction to Appasaheb that no one moved as the speeches continued. They preferred to bear the heat and it went beyond tolerance level,” he said.
Mungantiwar said it was an unfortunate incident and it should not be politicised. “When Rahul Gandhi was convicted no one asked for his resignation,” he said.
The culture minister slammed the opposition for circulating false figures of people who had died on account of the heatwave.
“The party which could give Rs 10 lakh to the widow of someone who died in a terrorist attack has their funds dried up? Why have they not helped these people?” he asked. Instead of circulating false numbers of deceased, the party could easily send their party workers to the hospital to ascertain the correct figures, he said, adding that when discussions take place on the PIL in court all things will become clear. He added he would also explain in detail in the legislature when the issue comes up for discussion.
